Re: [NTLK] New iMac - anybody else think it looks like a tablet? ([OT] and back again)

From: karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 12:44:40 PDT

Jon Glass wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2004, at 9:20 PM, karel Jansens wrote:
>

>>A tablet is great if you have a big house with garden, no fixed
>>workplace and a bias towards handwriting recognition (PenOffice on
>>Windows is really good).
>>
>>And if you are using my tablet, lots of power sockets help as well. :)
>>

> Right, you kind of proved my point. ;-) There are limitations there. I
> think, in my case, I would prefer my laptop, and beyond that, so, it's
> good on occasion, in a big house with a garden. :-) I just don't
> know.... maybe, once we move into our big house, I might come to agree,
> but I think I would still prefer a real computer with keyboard, but
> again, I just don't think there is a genuine consumer market for it.
> It's a solution without a common appeal--a consumer appeal--a mass
> appeal, if you will, like a walkman or cell phone. It's like the mini
> video player. I don't think they will take off. It's not that these
> things don't have _any_ market or _any_ use. They clearly do, but just
> that there is not enough of a demand to make them take off like the
> iPod or Palm. (I love that ad on Eurosport, in which three guys sit
> down in front of a large screen TV, and end up watching a car race on
> the phone instead.... RIGHT!!! )

I should have added that I'm a hardware luddite: if I had to pay 3,000
euro for a tablet, I'd never have bought one, but the ageing Fujitsu
Stylistic I got off eBay cost little more than a tenth of that. It's a
great web-pad, an excellent drawing platform and quite good at
pen-based wordprocessing (using the less demanding Lotus SmartSuite
rather than Microsoft Office) and even spreadsheeting.

So it'll run at most an hour on its battery, I can always buy one of
those extended battery packs that plug in the AC power and velcro it
to the back. The biggest drawback is not the lousy power, but Wifi
only reaching some thirty meters; to cover the house and garden, I'd
need at least three repeaters, dammit. There comes a point when even
GPRS begin to sound tempting.

BTW, does anyone know if you can use a Wifi-ed Newton as a Wifi access
point? That would solve some of my problems...

Karel Jansens