Re: [NTLK] WWNC & Einstein

From: Zachery Bir (zbir_at_urbanape.com)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 07:19:10 PDT

On Sep 8, 2004, at 9:55 AM, Paul Guyot wrote:

> I don't mean to sound rude, but after the DCL & Escale open source
> experiment, I just do not want to hear about open sourcing code of
> the Einstein project and/or the emulator again. Thanks.

Open Source projects will fail without a critical mass of interested
(and capable!) developers to share the burden. I don't think anyone is
being critical, Paul, I think there is a general (albeit false) sense
that OSS is some sort of panacea for any domain. I'm sure John Anderson
would agree about NewtSync. Open Sourcing some code doesn't generate
any benefit when it's not taken up by people who can further it.

Personally, I think you (and all the developers who keep the Newt
going) rock, and I for one don't expect to see one line of code.

Zac