Re: [NTLK] WWNC & Einstein

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 12:59:48 PDT

>> I don't mean to sound rude, but after the DCL & Escale open source
>> experiment, I just do not want to hear about open sourcing code of
>> the Einstein project and/or the emulator again. Thanks.
> Why? What happend with that projects?

   They didn't work. The DCL is 50,000 lines of code, and is meant as a
starting point for other things - like speciallized sync applications,
MP3 installers, soup explorers, maybe even cross-development packages.
The ONLY significant app that I'm aware of is still Escale. It was
released before it was completely "done" (in terms of stability,
synchronization capability via plug-ins, API interfaces, etc. as
open-source with the intention that other developers would pick up and
make it better. No-one did.

Part of the problem was the the DCL is an enormous system of code that
is somewhat intimidating. There is no real manual or "tutorial code"
that would show you how to program with it by degrees. I must admit I
haven't looked at the code that much.

   Part of the problem, we think, is that people for the most part were
expecting something that "just worked" - which Escale does sort of,
although it crashes on me a lot and I haven't had time to investigate
the code.

   Paul expressed the same sentiments a couple of years ago when the
issue of open sourcing part of the ATA driver came up.

Jim