Re: [NTLK] eMate 300 - Previously Re: PromptPad

From: Christopher Zinkula (czinkula_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 20:32:09 PDT

I did receive two battery packs which are supposedly dead. However, I
am going to put them into the 300's and see if they charge. Otherwise
I will either re-cell them or purchase new ones (and offer my olds
ones off to the list for free). Depends how motivated I am. :)

I'm pretty sure for connecting to OS X I will need the KeySpan
USB-Serial adapter (Part #USA-19HS) although I'm not sure what after
that. The connection on that is DB9 and it looks like the connection
on the eMate 300 is a MD09 but from what I've seen of the "real"
Newton cables they are MD08. So if somebody could recommend the cable
to go in between the KeySpan adapter and the eMate I would appreciate
it. (I'll also look through the archives after I send off this
message).

Once I have the cables I should be able to use NewTen to put things
back and forth.

I may take you up on your offer to get things on a PCMCIA card.
Although... I have access to a laptop with a PCMCIA slot so I should
be able to do that myself correct? Is there a certain brand/type of
PCMCIA card to use?

Ultimately I'd want to use Wireless but connecting via wire is okay in
the short term.

Thanks for all your help!

Chris