Re: [NTLK] Newton Future?

From: Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail (izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 15:53:32 PDT

My own thoughts:

I am new to Newton I admit, I've had my Newton for about 2 months going
on 3. So I an infant still compared to some people here. I absolutely
love the Newton, it is so cool a device, people here are great, and I
was amazed that there was a WWNC. This was unbelievable, I had no idea
that this community is SO alive. In some ways I am not so surprised,
this was an Apple product.

The Einstein project is interesting, I am not sure where it is headed
but:

I think what the Einstein project should strive for propelling the
Newton OS into color, larger memory space, easier connectivity
solutions, secure internet connections, blue tooth, I can't think of
anything else, oh iTunes, a headphone jack. I am mentioning these with
complete disregard to immediate or future issues which may inhibit
diversification of Newton OS into these areas.

You know, many of these are already possible and I am not sure of their
installation processes but I have heard some of these things being done
today with the likes of bluetooth or ATA cards. Of course color should
be nice but I do get buy just fine with green.

So really I am not sure about these things, I know these are some
things people would like, or so I imagine.

Personally I have had a lot of trouble getting my ethernet card going,
but then I am by no means well versed in networking and have had lots
of help so far and hopefully I will surf on the Newton web soon.

If getting current technologies up and running on the Newton are
difficult now, then one goal should be making them easier, I don't know
if this OS level or hardware level or a mix.

I hope the efforts and plans of keeping Newton OS alive today and
beyond will be possible. Apple should be proud of what they left behind
and I hope they will be supportive to this community which continues to
grow.

Apple has been very successful of late and in many instances an envy
and example to the industry, in the same token Apple has taken
advantage of Open Source technologies. I leave the rest up to your
imaginations.

Alex