Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V4 #523

From: Fred Bauman (emailfred_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 05:57:38 PDT

>And you are sure that your Mac OS computer has Appletalk turned on for
>Ethernet, and that NCU is running when you are trying to connect? (NCU
is
>what the Newton looks for, not the computer.)

Appletalk is turned on, Classic is running, and NCU is up.
Here's the kicker:
If I start NCU with my cable modem plugged into my ethernet, then swap
out the cables for my Farallon setup (way back in the thread)
everything is fine if I'm doing the standard non-ethernet newton
connection.
If I start NCU without anything plugged in it tells me that Appletalk
is not available and I have to restart the process.

So I know I can connect, just not through my ethernet card. Which
brings up the original question of if I really NEED a router to
accomplish this. BTW: card is 3com Etherlink III 3C589D-combo.

Fred Bauman
Grand Rapids, MI USA