Re: [NTLK] hard reset

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 16:10:46 PDT

Luiz Petroni wrote:
> Dan,
>
> What exactly do you mean with "damage them"? Erase the cards or render
> the unusable?
>
> I remember me doing a brain wipe with a memory card inserted in my
> Newton but did not notice any problems. Maybe I was lucky enough
> but...if you play with fire you get hurt sooner or later.
>
> --lpetroni

Well some have been damaged as in dead. Others have been just data
erased. Pretec even advises removing cards BEFORE a software reset
(just pressing the reset button for a second) if you check their site
you will see this warning. Even Apple advised removing cards before
doing a brainwipe (hardware reset).

There was a big discussion on this topic earlier in the year. Basically
if you want to be absolutely safe, use a software package to reset
(reboot) your Newt. If you are going to press the button, remove all
cards first. Most cards can take it, but personally I would not want to
take the risk when it is easy to avoid.

-Dan