Re: [NTLK] hard reset

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 16:24:23 PDT

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 07:10:46PM -0400, Dan wrote:
> There was a big discussion on this topic earlier in the year. Basically
> if you want to be absolutely safe, use a software package to reset
> (reboot) your Newt. If you are going to press the button, remove all
> cards first. Most cards can take it, but personally I would not want to
> take the risk when it is easy to avoid.

Interestingly, I've had occasional trouble with the software reboot in
the patched Avi's Backdrop. About one time in four (and I haven't found
what the cause is, save it possibly being related to wedged TCP-related
processes), the reset will leave the Newt completely off and
unresponsive to anything short of the "almost-brainwipe" restart
procedure, where one follows the brainwipe instructions up to not
answering "Yes" to the "Do you want to completely erase all Newton
data?" question.

--
79. If my doomsday device happens to come with a reverse switch, as soon as it
    has been employed it will be melted down and made into limited-edition