Re: [NTLK] hard reset

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 22:55:17 PDT

> Interestingly, I've had occasional trouble with the software reboot in
> the patched Avi's Backdrop. About one time in four [..] the reset will
> leave the Newt completely off and unresponsive to anything short of

   Hmm, this is interesting. I've had times (not related to software
resets, mostly when all power has been removed for a LONG time), when
the Newt is very hard to turn on (combinations of hard-resets up to the
'erase all data' point, reset button only, power switch only, where you
can here a little modulating 'chirp' (I assume something in the power
circuitry whose frequency modulates perhaps with what the processor is
doing) for about 5 seconds and then stops. And it's always the same
"accoustic signature".

   I wonder if it would be possible to hook wires directly to the
processor to see what opcodes it's processing? Possibly something is
getting screwed up with the 'reboot reason', where-ever it's stored,
which shuts down the early booup process..

Jim