Re: [NTLK] ATA support and partitioning cards?

From: keith (keith_at_vortex.co.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 08:07:37 PDT

Sometime around 21/9/04 (at 4:49 pm +0200) Roman Pixell said:

>On Sep 21, 2004, at 4:06 PM, keith wrote:
>
>> Or would I be better off by not being so ambitious and getting a
>> linear flash card in the 30+ MB range instead?
>>
>> I'll be using this in my upgraded 2000 and in my 2100.
>
>my experience with mp2100 is that if you load applications on any type
>of card, the system gets bogged down. if the card is full with data
>(pix, music etc), rather than apps, you might be more lucky. however, i
>rarely find the need for more than 20 MB (16 card + 4 internal). my
>backups are saved on special 4MB cards and the 16MB card can be
>"re-installed" easily from a special folder on the mac. i never save
>data on any other store than internal.
>
>what will you use your spacious card for? if its mainly for pictures
>and music, i think that the newton will cope without partitioning, but
>i might be wrong. however, if you plan to use more applications, turn
>down your expectations.

Hmm. This sounds wise.

Okay, yes, whether I get a 32MB linear flash card or a 200MB+ ATA PC
Card I'd be using it for storing a significant number of
applications. But no, I had decided against using a larger card
without partitioning. Would it help if all partitions were relatively
small? Or would the total across different partitions still add up
and, well, bite me in the ass?

My maxim in the desktop world is that 'there's no such thing as too
much memory'. Within reason, this has always been true. But I know
that I could take this too far if I apply this to the world of Newton!

If I can use a *large* but partitioned ATA card without significant
speed penalties and without packing out the Newton's heap space just
tracking it all, I'd go for it like a shot. But I don't want to find
out the hard way that it isn't a worthwhile thing to try! It does
seem that this is the case...

Thanks for your input everyone, it is definitely enlightening.

      Keith Martin   Technical Editor, MacUser magazine
      MacUser Help   mailto:help_at_macuser.co.uk
      direct (work)  +44 (0)20 7907 6360
            mobile   0790 954 1365