Re: [NTLK] ATA support and partitioning cards?

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 10:50:56 PDT

* keith <keith_at_vortex.co.uk> [21 Sep 2004 08:12]:
> Okay, yes, whether I get a 32MB linear flash card or a 200MB+ ATA PC
> Card I'd be using it for storing a significant number of
> applications. But no, I had decided against using a larger card
> without partitioning. Would it help if all partitions were relatively
> small? Or would the total across different partitions still add up
> and, well, bite me in the ass?

I'm still waiting on my card (had to exchange it - bad sectors or
something) so I haven't had a chance to test it - but I was planning on
partitioning up the (256MB) card into newton-sized chunks (maybe 32MB)
and simply not having all of them mounted at the same time to save heap.
Eg, one with core apps that I always need, and one with data that I
always need, then one with games, one with additional apps, one with
newtonbooks... and mount and unmount them as needed.

> My maxim in the desktop world is that 'there's no such thing as too
> much memory'. Within reason, this has always been true. But I know
> that I could take this too far if I apply this to the world of Newton!

The only "too much memory" is when the hardware can't handle it.
Unfortunately, the Newton has some hardware limits...

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project