Re: [NTLK] ATA support and partitioning cards?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 09:24:31 PDT

>>Or would I be better off by not being so ambitious and getting a
>>linear flash card in the 30+ MB range instead?
>>
>>I'll be using this in my upgraded 2000 and in my 2100.
>

> my experience with mp2100 is that if you load applications on any type
> of card, the system gets bogged down. if the card is full with data
> (pix, music etc), rather than apps, you might be more lucky. however, i
> rarely find the need for more than 20 MB (16 card + 4 internal). my
> backups are saved on special 4MB cards and the 16MB card can be
> "re-installed" easily from a special folder on the mac. i never save
> data on any other store than internal.
*snip*
Just keep in mind that your internal memory is Flash and will wear out
at some point. That is why I store any data that changes with frequency
on a storage card. Cards are still much easier to replace than a Newt.

And I do agree that the smaller the card the less system heap is taken
to keep track of the storage. Even if you have nothing stored on it, a
8mb flash card takes more heap than a 4mb one. I just use the smaller
cards to keep my heap up, say nothing over 16. This should also apply
to partitions with the ATA driver. One of these days I will get a ATA
card and the driver and partition it into chunks of 4mb to keep the
system heep at a high number. Also with the ATA you can have more than
one partition mounted (usable) just as if you put in another card in the
second slot. But again this takes from the heap so you would not want
to have a bunch at once, but it is handy if you need them.

-Dan