Re: [NTLK] FS SER-001 & EM300

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 07:32:16 PDT

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 08:12:34AM -0600, Shannan M. wrote:
> Hello David,
> What is the difference between the subsequent revisions of your board
> that makes your 3rd generation board different than the one that is
> being sold on ebay? What improvements were made that would make the
> board any different? Im just confused with your claim that the board
> is of poor quality...if it is a copy of your board as you say then
> would your first generation board also not be of poor quality?
> Forgive the "devils advocate" routine here but as a new newton user
> I'm very curious.

Traces that don't adhere well to a board are a general problem with
sub-par manufacturing PCBs.

The tolerances inside the newton are VERY tight; even slight errors in
trimming a board or mounting components will put physical strain on the
case.

Using inferior parts on the board can make it work less well or fail
with fire later in life. (E.G. shoddy capacitors can explode and ruin
boards -- there was a rash of that happening when a bunch of motherboard
builders decided to save a couple of cents per board last year.)

These aren't accusations; they're descriptions of how a design isn't the
only way to make a crap product.

Besides, *Dave* isn't the one selling the 1st gen boards anymore. Even
if the design *was* of poor quality, it's the other guy that's selling
boards made from it.

> It makes sense that the seller on ebay would resell the old dongles on
> ebay but seeing as how the ser-001 board replaces the need for a
> dongle what is the use for one after the fact?

You can loan a dongle to someone without a SER-001 if you want. Instead
of taking a $10 credit on an order, you can sell the dongle yourself for
$30 or so. If you leave your newton on top of the car, you may still
have the dongle around for use with your replacement Newton, until you
get a new SER-001.

--
40. I will be neither chivalrous nor sporting. If I have an unstoppable
    superweapon, I will use it as early and as often as possible instead of