Re: [NTLK] Newton Killer - OS X? - Epilog

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 08:30:30 PDT

On Sep 24, 2004, at 10:12 AM, Bill Miranda wrote:

> Printing is another way I wish I could learn to use the Newton. I
> have that print pack cable, but I no longer own any printers that have
> parallel ports, everything is USB. I have the printers connected on
> my network at home but they are ink jets. Is there a network printing
> solution to an HP USB ink jet that I'm missing?

THere is the new LPR driver - it allows printing from the newton to an
'lpr' printer over a tcp/ip network. What this means is that people
using modern operating systems (linux, os X, probably windows too) can
set up a shared "printer" (think CUPS for linux and mac) that acts like
an LPR que, takes print jobs from the newton, and sends them along to a
networked / attached printer. Basically, the LPR driver gives us a way
to use our desktop as a middle-man to a new printer.
> FInally, I find that I am somewhat self-conscious about using the
> Newton at what it does best, note-taking, in a business meeting.
> While I often have my MP 2100 or MP 130 with me during the business
> day, I find it disruptive to whip out this retro-technology in a
> meeting to take notes. It is sort of a meeting stopper, even more so
> than using a laptop to take notes in meetings, which I don't typically
> do either. Maybe in more tech-oriented professions it is no big deal,
> but in a partner meeting at a large accounting firm it gets noticed.

Hmm, I've gotten a bit of that at school - but everyone here has
basically become accustomed to my using it for everything. Would having
it out and in use before the meeting started help any? I mean, newtons
are pretty cool and all, but aren't your business associates used to
the concept of technology in the workplace?

> Just my thoughts. Your mileage may vary.

Ditto.

J Tyler Nichols