[NTLK] a question about batteries

From: Riccardo Mori (rick_at_poc.it)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 12:27:21 PDT

hello everyone :)

when i purchased my MP2000 second-hand, the seller included a real lot
of things (original paper manuals, original floppies and some original
applications that he had bought) and everything was in incredibly good
condition. unfortunately, however, there was no 9W AC adapter. the
seller told me he never had one, and used rechargeable batteries
instead. therefore he included:

- a set of 4 individual 1.2V 600mAH NiCd batteries
- a set of 4 individual 1.2V 1200mAH NiMH batteries

to recharge these batteries, i usually use a separate battery
recharger. but -- from what i've inferred by the recent behaviour of
these batteries -- they can't keep their full charge anymore, so i
wanted to buy new ones. in stores, though, i often happen to find
batteries (NiCd and NiMH) which usually have higher mAH values (like
1300 or 1900 for the NiMH and 700 or 900 for the NiCd). can i use these
batteries without problems for my Newton or are there some caveats, as
far as you know?

i haven't had the time to do a full search on this subject, so bear
with me if i'm asking a well-known and often-discussed topic :)

thank you all in advance. best regards,
Rick