Re: [NTLK] a question about batteries

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 12:41:43 PDT

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 09:27:21PM +0200, Riccardo Mori wrote:
> hello everyone :)
>
> when i purchased my MP2000 second-hand, the seller included a real lot
> of things (original paper manuals, original floppies and some original
> applications that he had bought) and everything was in incredibly good
> condition. unfortunately, however, there was no 9W AC adapter. the
> seller told me he never had one, and used rechargeable batteries
> instead. therefore he included:
>
> - a set of 4 individual 1.2V 600mAH NiCd batteries
> - a set of 4 individual 1.2V 1200mAH NiMH batteries
>
> to recharge these batteries, i usually use a separate battery
> recharger. but -- from what i've inferred by the recent behaviour of
> these batteries -- they can't keep their full charge anymore, so i
> wanted to buy new ones. in stores, though, i often happen to find
> batteries (NiCd and NiMH) which usually have higher mAH values (like
> 1300 or 1900 for the NiMH and 700 or 900 for the NiCd). can i use these
> batteries without problems for my Newton or are there some caveats, as
> far as you know?

Sure, those will work fine in the AA battery sled, which you undoubtedly
have. The only thing to be careful of is to keep the ratings and types
of batteries consistant in a set. Don't mix the 700 Nicads with the NiMH
cells, in either charging or use, for example, or charge the NiMH in the
Nicad charger (or on the wrong type if you've got a multifunctional
charger). You'll get the benefit of the increased capacity as well when
using your Newton.

--
Cunningham's Second Law:
It's always more complex than you expect, even when you take