Re: [NTLK] einstein -> antelope?

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 23:56:11 PDT

On 30-sep-04, at 7:21, Jim Witte wrote:
> They refused a sale of hundreds of units? Incredible. No wonder
> Scully couldn't make Apple work!

I've quoted this on the list before, but Peter Kaas (one of the
developers of Lunasuite) told me years back that a local Dutch cellular
telephone provider wanted to equip all of their employees with Newtons.
Note that this was just when the 2100 came out, so even before the
spinn-off into Newton Inc. The company (Libertel) was told that Apple
Holland wasn't interested.
Considering that Apple Holland was also the main distributor of all
things Newton related worldwide (except for the US) makes a weird story
even weirder.
This is why I always take all the 'reasons for the demise of the
Newton' explanations with a huge grain of salt, since nobody has the
data nobody can form a funded opinion about this.
It does make clear that the Newton could have done better. much
better...

Robert Benschop