Re: [NTLK] Pkg install via OS X webserver - default listing?

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 09:49:36 PDT

* Michael Blazer <m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca> [28 Sep 2004 21:11]:

> Thanks, Rhonda. I tried this, but it still didn't work. So then, not
> wanting to bother people unnecessarily, I read some documentation and
> figured out that I had to change the Apache configuration file to allow
> .htaccess files to override Options.

Excellent, if it didn't work that would have been my next suggestion :-)

> So I did that. Given that I had never heard of any of these things
> before today, and that I don't know how to do anything in Terminal, it
> was all pretty ugly how I did it. But in the end, I'm sure that I put
> the correct "directive" into the correct file, observing correct
> syntax, etc. I've triple-checked everything, but it still doesn't
> work -- still getting '403 - Forbidden'.

Just to make sure - you can enter one of the filenames in that directory
by hand and correctly download it? If you get a '403 - Forbidden' for
that too, then it's probably a permissions issue and you'll have to
make sure all your files, the directory they're in, the directory that's
in, and so on back to the bottom of the tree are all "world readable" so
that apache can actually read them.

If you can get a pkg file by typing it into the browser, then it is
definitely just a problem with the indexing.

Instead of putting Options +Indexes in your .htaccess file and allowing
htaccess files, you could put Options +Indexes directly in your apache
configuration. (Of course, that'll mean that *any* directory that
doesn't have an index.html file will get a directory listing, but
personally I like that...)

Beyond that, it sounds like you're setting it up properly, and I'm not
sure what differences there are between Apache/OS X and Apache/Linux...

As an additional note, though, you would probably want to find the lines
that start with AddType in your server configuration and add the
following to the list:

AddType application/x-newton-compatible-pkg .pkg

(If you have non-newton package files with the .pkg extension then this
should go in the .htaccess file in your package directory instead of
with all the other AddType directives.)

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project