Re: [NTLK] Anyone Making Public WiFi Work?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sat Apr 02 2005 - 11:29:06 PST

On Apr 2, 2005, at 8:03 AM, David Deranian wrote:

> As a loyal Newton user that has spent a considerable amount of time on
> the road, I find it hard to believe that this group hasn't found a way
> to make the Newton work with "pay-per-use" WiFi Service like T-Mobile's
> Hotspots at Starbucks.
Accept reality. It's true. These Pay per use site use an SSL web page
to authenticate new clients. This isn't about to happen on the newton
AFAIK.

> Maybe not for all the folks on this list, but
> certainly for some of us mobile types, consider what a huge boon it
> would be to fire up your Newton in a public WiFi area and take care of
> business just like our Palm and PocketPC brethren!
Yes, not a problem, just don['t go to frickin starbucks, there coffee
is crap anyhow. There are MANY other places that have true free wifi
that doesn't require SSL or payment.

You can use a web site like http://www.wi-fizone.org/ to locate and
communicate with various wifi providers and get info like SSID's.
There are many other sites along these lines.
> This situation has forced me to partially migrate to a Sony Clie NZ-90,
> which is a pretty awesome little computer in it's own right, but as we
> all know, certainly lacks the "IT Factor" of the Newton.
Lucky you.

> If any of you have managed to overcome this obstacle, I'd sure like to
> hear from you.
Not overcome but workaround. No suffering with starbucks sludge either!

Marty