[NTLK] connecting problems w/ crossover cable

From: Harrison Jordan (harrisonjordan_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 10:09:55 PDT

Hi guys,

I got my newton and a crossover cable to connect my wired ethernet card
to my computer. my computer has an airport card which is on a 802.11b
network. (I am using a linksys router). The only wire I have to connect
ethernet devices is the crossover cable. I DO NOT have the normal
ethernet cable that allows you to plug the newton directly into the
router.

  When I use appletalk over ethernet, it brings up the dock with the
install package and synchronize and use keyboard options (everything
goes fine until now). I click on "install package" on the Dock
application on the newton and i click on a package and it says "A
connection error has occurred. (The package is damaged)". Well, I put a
package into a program for os x called Packager, which is suppose to
fix damaged packages, and is suppose to clarify to the newton that the
.pkg extension is a newton package extension. So I put a package into
Packager and clicked on "Install Package" again on my newton. I got the
same error.

I tried installing the package a third time, this time I pressed the
"install package" button on Escale instead of the "install package"
button on the newton's dock. A box popped up on the newton saying
"installing package...", and there was a grey bar. The bar didn't even
have any black on that bar, so my guess is that the package probably
wasn't going to install. So I waited a few minutes and no black
appeared on the bar, so I exited the installing package box.

However, I was able to use my computer keyboard for typing on the
newton! I don't really have any names in the address book, so I didn't
try out the "Syncronize" option.

Also, after I connect to my computer with appletalk and the dock menu
on my newton pops up with the options of "syncronizing" "using
keyboard" and "install package", I exit that box and then go to
nethopper and type in google.com and it says something like "looking
for host" and then it says that the dns servers are invalid. (is
nethopper trying to use a tcp/ip connection, or is it trying to using
my appletalk connection? Is the dns server error pertaining to an error
in my tcp/ip connection or appletalk connection?)

Next I try to connect using tcp/ip. In my system prefs, should I
connect "manually", "dhcp with manual address", or "dchp". Whenever I
connect using a dhcp option, the ip address, subnet mask, and router
fields are all blank in the system prefs on my mac. If i pick manual or
dhcp with manual address, should I use the ip address thats already
used in the airport section in the system prefs, or should I make up an
entirely new ip address?(let's say 192.168.1.103)

On my newton, should I setup tcp/ip as dhcp or manual? Also, if I do
use manual on my newton, should my router address be the address of my
router or of my computer. also, for the ip address of my newton, should
I enter an entirely new ip address? (let's say 192.168.1.104)

I have contacted Jeff from hand-media.com and I have explained to him
everything that happened and we are both stumped. I have tried both
tcp/ip and appletalk and I can't connect sufficiently.

Also, I might be buying a wi-fi card? would this take away all these
problems? Even if you don't know all the answers to my questions, I
would appreciate it if you pitched in a few answers to some of my
questions,

Thanks,

Harrison