Re: [NTLK] battery Question

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 17:17:36 PDT

> So after being away from my 130 for a couple of days
> I tried starting it up and it wouldn't work, so I put
> it in my charging station and it worked thru the ac power.
> When I replaced the rechargable pack with alkalines it
> worked. When I did that I saw some discoloration in the
> battery compartment. (see
> http://home.wlu.edu/~collinso/newton/index.html)
> Now the rechargable battery still powers up my 120.=20
> So to sum up: My 130 doesnt like rechargeables, only
> alkalines and AC power But the rechargeables still work.

From how the battery compartment looks, I think that some
liquid has found its way into it. I do have an educated
guess about the reason of what you are describing, but
I need a little more info. Could you please install
NewtTest (available in the software section of the site
in the signature) and let us know what your 130 reports
(choose battery subtest) for the battery type when you
have a) alkalines and b) the rechargeable pack installed?

Regards

Frank