[NTLK] Michigan Newton Gathering - Preparations Update

From: mkow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 07:49:44 PDT

First off, thank you, Paul, for your generous offer. If there's a way to get such a device to me before Sunday's event, please let me know. In fact, I'll try to get a hold of you on the phone today. If we can't get a device shipped in time, please consider bringing a 110-130 device with you on Sunday. A laptop, too (That way, we can show more than one Newton movie file at a time, exchange data faster, etc).

Mark, I have been biting my figurative tongue up until now, but I am going to speak my feelings on this issue. I do appreciate the 'benefit', such as it is, that you offer to those seeking to purchase Newton-related equipment. However, I do NOT think it is appropriate to make constant solicitations on this bulletin board, or, to respond to nearly every newsworthy posting, to get the name of your business pasted on top of the list, or for whatever other reason. It is NOT fair for you to use the nonprofit Newton Comunity initiative as a springboard for your business. I'm surprised Victor hasn't said anything to you about this, as it really seems to be getting out of hand.

As to the question of my selling my hardware, I absolutely will not do such a thing. The equipment serves as an invaluable research / teaching aid for members of the Newton Community. If it were sold, it likely would languish hidden in some private collection. I think that by asking such a thing, you show that your true colors on this bulletin board lie in making a profit, not in really helping the Community in its growth and development.

I will still honor my commitment to you in making your business cards available, and I'll see that Cliff gets his Newton hardware, but I'm really feeling like you are painting the members of this list into a corner. Perhaps it's time that you backed off a bit on the constant barrage of sales-related postings for while.

Respectfully,

Matt the K.