Re: [NTLK] Programming Newton Games.

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 09:52:45 PDT

Andrew Hazelden wrote:
> Hi. I am interested in porting a small mac game I made for an idevgames
> contest called "Mini-Sub racing" to the newton.
>
> http://doverstudios.com/minisub/
>
> Does anyone here have any experience programming sprites on the newton?
> How are offscreen graphics buffers handled on a MessagePad 2100? What
> type of refresh rate does the screen support? How much ram is available
> to store sprites and graphics?

Andrew,

The Newton doesn't have such graphic primitives liks sprites, buffers, and the
like. It was never designed as a system for games, but a system for information.

Probably the most graphically-intensive game around is NewtGlider:

http://www.sealiecomputing.com/newtglider/

I believe that the author basicially figured out how to write directly to the
video address area to do this one.