Re: [NTLK] [OT] we may see an apple phone afterall

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 10:04:40 PDT

Actually, I think that the 99 cent per song price is
way too high. When you consider that a standard CD has
about 15 tracks, and runs between 16-22 bucks, that a
range of about a buck to a litle over a buck per
song...but for that price, you get physical medium,
linernotes and most importantly, music quality far and
above the 128kbps you get with these compressed
formats (ok, Apple's format may not be the audio
equivalent of 128kbps, but it's still 1/10th of the
quality available on an actual CD)
So, if you take the production costs out of the CD,
and the physical benefits, a single song should be
well under a buck...then divide that by 10 because of
the lack of audio quality and you have a song that
should sell for 10 cents...
For 99 cents, you should get the song you paid for and
as a bonus, a "hidden gem" (a song you wouldn't have
purchased or didn't know it existed)
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- Clayton Mitchell <claytonmitchell_at_mac.com> wrote:
<snip>
> place. I think
> what apple is doing by putting the customer first
> and actually pricing
> music to compete with the free file swapping is a
> good thing, for the
> customer, for the music industry, and for apple. I
<snip>

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial