[NTLK] MP130 vs. MP2100

From: mkow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 05:30:37 PDT

I have not really played around much with an MP 130, but I do know a few things about it:

* It is SLIGHTLY more svelte than the MP 2X00 series (not much smaller or slimmer).

* It has far less processing power than the MP 2X00 series.

The only real problem with the second point is with regard to some software applications requiring more power/memory to function. For example, it seems my MP 2X00s are pushing the envelope when they run programs like VEA (a weird and complex Visio-type design program). It might be able to run on an MP 130, but I'd bet it would be REALLY SLOW. Also, the MP 130 can't currently play back .MP3 files via 'MadMax' (Actually, neither can the MP 2000, unless it has the 2100 upgrade installed). Note that I'd like to see increased functionality of ALL Newtons to accomodate sound recording, .MP3 playback, etc. Finally, the one PCMCIA card slot is quite limiting. What if you would like to connect to the internet and also have enough memory storage capacity? Can't do both.

What I DO find appealing about the MP 130 is that it seems like it would make a nice eBook reader.
One of these days, I'm going to have to find one of these for my collection.

Matt the K.