Re: [NTLK] First Newton ever (and first post)

From: Zoont Foomby (zoontf_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 01:17:45 PDT

> I just subscribed, hopefully I'm using this thing
> right.
> Anyways, I bought a MessagePad 2000 off of eBay and
> should be getting it by Monday or Tuesday.=20

Hi! I just got my first newton 2100 a week and a half ago. It's a wild ride=
.

> I do have an older PowerBook with an IRda port, only
> it has system 7.5.something and I don't have the SCSI
> converter cable I need to use my OS 8.5 installer CD,
> so that option is out for now.

Just to follow up on the IRDA option...

I cannot guarantee that System 7.5 will work with the two IRDA package
installers available, but I can say that personally the one listed on
at the bottom of this page

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jerome.vernet/newton.htm

works perfectly for me. I know it isn't much help, but it's something.=20

What kind of powerbook do you have? I have a G3 Lombard. The IRDA
installer on the page above says it works with MAC OS 9.2.2, but I've
been using it perfectly with 9.1. I know there are lots of differences
between 7.5 and 9.x, but perhaps when he listed it as working with
9.2.2 he just meant that that was his testing system and he doesn't
know if it will work with other versions of the OS. Give it a try.

Best of luck!