Re: [NTLK] loaner flash card?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sat Aug 13 2005 - 10:57:09 PDT

On Aug 13, 2005, at 8:52 AM, Nicholas Burlett wrote:

>> Yes it's quite possible if you have a mac that can run NCU, which it
>> sounds like you might. You need to have a working "classic"
>> environment though...
>>
>> Actually on second thought, you might not need that at all. If you
>> have an OSX mac you can also try using escale which can install
>> packages over TCP/IP or Appletalk.
>>
>> Of course it also need to be connected to some wireless router or have
>> a wifi card in it...
>>
>> I think the NCU approach might be more successful for some reason,
>> but
>> you could try connecting with escale first?
>
> I tried using escale, and I can see my mac from the newton, but I
> can't connect to it. I saw this note in the troubleshooting guide:
> "If you are using an Airport Extreme Base Station, we are aware of
> the problem. Paul lost nearly all his hair on this problem. The only
> workaround was to either replace the Airport Extreme Base Station
> with the good old Graphite one or run tcpdump on the Mac (!). "
>
> I'm using an airport extreme base station. Is there a workaround yet?

Yikes! In the immortal words of Roseanne Rosanadana, "It's always
something."

I don't know about this, as I have older (repaired) base station
hardware and Use an OSX box as a base at one location.

How about using the internet sharing preference pane? (System
preferences/sharing/internet). This should allow your OSX box itself
to become a base station?

Marty