Re: [NTLK] E-Ink for Newton

From: oliver.brose_at_t-online.de
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 06:23:49 PDT

>From: okto <oktology_at_gmail.com>
>Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:53:36 -0500

>I was looking at the Jackito (www.jackito.com)

Are they really selling these now, or is it all still "pre-order"? I
always wonder how it is possible to market a product like this
showing so little of the software. At least there is this wonderful
selection of swappable covers to indulge in *g*
What can this thing do?! Can it display PDF?! Is there a browser?!
Email?! Mac connectivity?!
Anyway, after stuffing in all the hardware I wanted I ended up close
to $1500 while totally in the blind about what the machine can
actually do. Yay! *g*

>and thinking that I'd=20
>pay a lot to upgrade my Newton's screen.
>It's decent for an STN LCD, but I lust after digital paper=20
>(www.eink.com).
>What would something like this be worth to people, and is it even=20
>feasible without custom-ordering 10,000 LCDs?

Hm, a screen that is readable under all lighting conditions, doesn't
shatter and uses next to no energy? Yes, please. Not that I'd know
about such things, but one would have to hope the controllers in eInk
displays are compatible with what we have in the Newt, and we would
loose the 16 greys, wouldn't we?

Oliver

--
Dude, we have to stick these RFID tags somewhere on our bodies.
Somehow they are supposed to protect us from evil.		from