[NTLK] Possible Newton virus?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 20:48:27 PDT

Is it possible that I may have discovered the first
Newton DOS virus?

On my download site, I have two Newton Press books.
Both are copies of Deception Point. One is called
"download only other not work" and the other is titled
"Deception Point"
If you download and install these directly on your
newt from my web site (I can't vouch for other means,
but they too will probably work) you will no longer
have access to any Newton books on your Newt. You will
probably get a -48221 error. Reference to deactivated
package. Deleting Deception Point will not return your
Newt to normal. The only way I know of to get the newt
back is to install XNewtBook, Copperfield library
editor, find all references to Deception Point and
remove them, then reboot the Newt with the button.
I have *NO* idea what I did in creating Deception
Point that would cause this kind of behaviour. I have
created dozens of books, a bunch after creating
Deception Point that have worked flawlessly. It just
seems that Deception Point has some kind of bug in it
that causes mass corruption.
Perhaps someone on this list can duplicate my results?
And maybe identify the culprit?
Thanks for listening
Ed
web/gadget guru

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial