[NTLK] [OT] [WAS "Re: Circles on 2100 using "shapes" mode"]

From: Lord Groundhog (LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 07:51:09 PDT

John,=20

Are you sure it's counter-clockwise and not anti-clockwise?* Absolutely
sure? Wouldn't you like to concede that if the Oxford English Dictionary
offers "anti-clockwise" as a legitimate word, it's acceptable at least to a
few people who think they might know something about English? ;)

---
As for "widdershins", the only use of that word that's familiar to me is in
referring to something that moves in a _wrong_ direction rather than merely
in the opposite direction.  I agree that on a clock face, the hands moving
opposite to clockwise would be "wrong" because it would produce faulty
information, but in the context of drawing a circle, I can't see that eithe=
direction is right or wrong.
But it is a great word.
Shalom.=20
Christian=20
~~~ ~~~ ~~~
NewtonPad:  the computer of tomorrow =8B yesterday.
http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/
Come to our =FCber-MUG: http://www.oxmug.org/
* Truth is, I grew up saying "counter-clockwise" and prefer it, but living
where I do, I find it easier not to quibble over something as unimportant t=
me as how to describe the opposite of "clockwise".
~~~ On 2005/08/24 12:23, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net at
newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote ~~~