Re: [NTLK] [OT] [WAS "Re: Circles on 2100 using "shapes" mode"]

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 09:45:23 PDT

Lord Groundhog (LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com) wrote:

> As for "widdershins", the only use of that word that's familiar to me is =
in
> referring to something that moves in a =5Fwrong=5F direction rather than =
merely
> in the opposite direction. I agree that on a clock face, the hands moving
> opposite to clockwise would be "wrong" because it would produce faulty
> information, but in the context of drawing a circle, I can't see that =
either
> direction is right or wrong.

"Anticlockwise" seems to be the usual meaning of widdershins (see
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widdershins>), though not the only one. I
first came across this word (together with "deosil" for "clockwise")
when I read Aleister Crowley's "Magick in Theory and Practice", were he
used it to to describe the proper way to perform some magic rituals.

Michael J. Hu=DFmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW (personal): http://michael-hussmann.de
WWW (professional): http://digicam-experts.de