Re: [NTLK] [ANN] NewtNAV + AQ-300 bundle

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 03:23:59 PDT

>Great to see this service being offered -- I just couldn't find an
AQ-300 on my side of
>the Atlantic, so Adriano did me a favour and forwarded one to me with
his NewtNAV.

Which is something I've been looking for to happen for quite a while,
somebody offering peripherals that are certified to work with the
Newton. Error-proof, newbie-safe, comfy one-stop shopping. Next:
Somebody pls. offer ATA Support *with* cards, Hiroshi's driver *with*
cards, etc. ,... C'mon guys, make some licensing deals and get to it!

>Subject: Re: [NTLK] [ANN] NewtNAV + AQ-300 bundle
>From: "Johannes Wolf" <mp2100 () mail-gw ! estec ! esa ! int>
>Date: 2005-08-26 8:13:50
>
>I am afraid that in case the receiver uses the 5V power from the Newt -
>routed via the nice adapter - it will NOT work with the SER-001,
because
>the SER-001 does NOT provide +5V on the connector.

Still works, though.

> > <snip> Of course, this is no reflection on Adriano's fine product.
> > imagine it'll be a more solid connection with the SER-001 port, if I
> > ever get around to
> > installing that.

Nicer with SER-001 (props to Mr. PCBMan! Can't wait for his next
ingenious hack... ;=} )

> I would be interested in seeing if the Newtnav setup works through the
> SER-001 also....
>
> Has this been tested by others?

Yes. Works great! Luv it! Better form factor overall than with IC
dongle, better connection (disclaimer: I have only Adriano's prototype
to go by, haven't seen his production-run stuff yet). There are one or
two things that might be possible to improve, and I've been in touch
with Adriano a while ago and will see if it'll be possible to do.

Explore http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/GPSOnNewton (could
use a section on "GPS Software for Mac OS X"...), specifically the
NewtNav-FAQ http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/NewtNav. The
whole GPS topic tree could stand more questions and answers culled from
own experiences or exchanges such as this or with knowlegddeable people
like Adriano, Ron, Johannes or Marco -- hey, how do you think I came
up with the three things I've put up at the Wiki!? And if a moron like
me can, so can you! I mean, why have Adriano, Ron and I gone to so much
trouble to drag all that stuff together?!
So pls. feel free to add and expand on the Wiki anything new you learn
that hasn't been written down before. Any new starter is a chance to
get the manual pages improved (talking about a fresh view on matters,
etc.).

Cheers,

DJV.