Re: [NTLK] eMate hinge repair (works in progress)

From: Steve (macintosh_at_globetrotter.net)
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 04:09:28 PDT

Hi Woody,
Frank site is my primary reference.

Frank site refer to a docuemnt (for the hinge repair) that say:

The first thing is to decide the type of repair you are going to
perform:

If your eMate is still working fine but you want to check the hinges
to prevent any future problems, then you need only remove the
motherboard and not the screen. You will then be able to assess the
state of the hinges and apply some grease if they look OK and add a
creased washer to the hinges for safety.
If however the eMate does have a screen problem or the screen
articulation feels too stiff/loose or you notice that a hinge is
close to failure, then you will have to do both and I suggest always
starting with the motherboard to prevent damage to the screen switch.

Based on that, the washer is necessary, but removing the screen would
not be. But still I was affraid that the spring will break into the
ribbon cable...

But, I see that you recommend to 2 both hinges, which would mean
dismantling further the eMate. So I will continue to dig into the
eMate internal organ!

By the way, I suppose repairing on both side would help the general
movement the the display, and also prevent the second hinge to work
too hard and spring again in the future.

Last one: the white grease that should be apply, what is it exactly?
Any grease will do or that need to be specific?