[NTLK] Win'XX' and NCU Connectivity

From: Arnold DeRoy (aderoy_at_mnsi.net)
Date: Mon Aug 29 2005 - 16:57:07 PDT

Just wanted to add my two cents for this issue - NCU and WinXP or Win98:
 I do not use the 'slowdown.exe' on either this machine (2.4ghz w/WinXP) or the laptop (1.1ghz
w/Win98) to connect the Newton MP2k or MP2k1.

 What I do instead to go to the Control Panel, Devices and locate the COM port the cable is
connected to. There I force the setting to 57.6k (or 38.4k) hardware handshaking. Any and all
NCU connects, backups, or transfers are started from the Newton only. No problems in
almost 4 years and 3 different desktops.

 I wonder if anyone else has tried this? May help instead of slowing down the whole machine
to 1996 levels. Can not think that I am the only one that this works for. This method makes
sense to me, since Windows will try to 'autosync' at the fastest rate, xon/xoff as default. Why
not make this hardcoded to the ability of the Newton? As long as there is a free comport
(moved to DSL and my modem is no longer needed) it was a simple choice.We are what we
repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a
habit. -Aristotle-