Re: [NTLK] OT: Fly Pentop

From: hellsop_at_ninehells.com
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 07:58:23 PDT

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 09:26:08AM -0400,
bb+graffiti.spam.newton_at_andrew.cmu.edu wrote:
> Their second market is corporate data entry. Let's say you're going
> to do a survey. Do you want to give everybody laptops? PDAs? Easy
> to drop things with short battery life? What about backups? Writing
> on a piece of paper gives you an excellent, stable backup. It's
> expensive to pay people to type in the data on forms, but they're
> still much more reliable. Also, some fields have legal record keeping
> requirements. Using an Anoto pen will let you keep a standard paper
> record in addition to an electronic one.

Honestly, you give people little forms with ovals to fill in and hire a
temp to run things through a scanner device, and let the temp touch up
the markup if necessary to get a good read. Nothing more expensive than
a box of cardboard and a handful of golf pencils needs to leave your
office then. A hinged mailer with attached Business Reply section can
get you survey answers for about fifty cents per, including mailing both
ways.

--
38. If an enemy I have just killed has a younger sibling or offspring
    anywhere, I will find them and have them killed immediately, instead of