[NTLK] Flashing eMate screen

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 16:58:28 PST

> When I release everything I get the screen flashing
> twice at about a 2 second interval, then=20
> a slight pause before it starts all over. Any ideas?

This is how the eMate tries to tell you that he has found
a problem with the memory. I would bet that you have the=20
memory upgrade installed, and I am almost sure that it is
the one that was manufactured by Newer Technologies. These
things are so poorly soldered that of the 5 I've seen so
far 4 were dead when I got them. They can sometims be fixed
by re-soldering the two memory chips under a microscope.=20
It helps if you stay away from excessive alcohol=20
consumption the night before ;-)

If you look at the Newton from the back with the handle=20
pointing away from you, you see the battery lid. Below
this lid can be two daughterboards. The right one is the
ROM and is always there, the left one is the memory upgrade.
If there is no left one, your eMate does not have the=20
upgrade.=20

If the upgrade is installed, you will need a Torx 8 screwdriver
to remove the battery lid. After removing the upgrade, your
eMate should power up fine (sometimes you'll have to make a
hard reset as described here):

http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html

If the upgrade is the culprit and you plan to throw it away,
please throw it in my direction. I will pay for shipping.

Good luck

Frank