[NTLK] NewerTech upgrade

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 03:26:23 PST

> Is it possible the upgrade just needed to be
> reseated?

Everything's possible, but in my experience this
is unlikely. Usually the problem with these
NewerTech Upgrades is poor soldering of the memory
chips. The chips' pins somehow manage to get
away from their soldering pad and are henceforth
living ever so slightly ABOVE their pad. The
minutest twist or movement of the upgrade board
might result in their making contact again.=20
Contact they will happily give up when you happen
to move your eMate, shout at it, look anything less
than lovingly at it or even if they are simply
in the mood to cause a problem when it is least
convenient. I have had one case where ALL pins on
one side of the memory chip had come off. This resulted
in the eMate's not signalizing a memory error, but
thinking the upgrade had been removed, which
automatically causes a total data loss at the next
reboot. Not a chance I would like to take. At least
make sure to always store vital data on a PC card.=20

The pins are that close over their pads that it
is often impossible to see the problem even under
a microscope. This is why I normally re-solder
EVERY pin of the two memory chips on NewerTech boards
regardless of whether the board has previously
caused problems or not.=20

However, cleaning the upgrade board's contacts with
a pencil eraser won't hurt, and in (rare) cases it
might even help.=20

Frank