Re: [NTLK] [OT] Spammers [WAS RE: Replacement GREEN backlights [WAS Re: High Quality

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 08:25:26 PST

I used Network Solutions for my first website about 13
years ago...I signed up for their "special" 2 year
deal for $70! But when I needed additional support
from them, they refused to give assistance (I can't
remember what the problem was, I just remember getting
very angry on the phone with them) They also failed to
send us notice when the domain(s) we had were
expiring. Lucky for us that this was back in the early
'90s so there wasn't such a bad "squatting" problem
back then. We started getting emails and calls about
our site being down...Network Solutions shutdown our
domain! Would have been nice to tell us this!
So, I switched to another provider. I've been using
Godaddy since the mid '90s and have never had a
problem with them. They have one of my credit cards on
file and when my domain comes up for renewal, they
just...renew it...automatically. I get emails 90, 60
and 30 days in advance. I own several dozen domains,
all through godaddy...I've enjoyed Bill Parson's stuff
way back when he created Tax Cut software...(I've been
using that since the early '90s too!)
I highly recommend that when your domains come up for
renewal, take them somewhere else...never use Network
Solutions...they are a rip-off and they don't care
about customer service...
just my opinion.
Ed
web/gadget guru
Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton:
http://newton.tek-ed.com (waaah! it's down until at
least March!)

--- "Bruce E. Durocher II" <bedii_at_qwest.net> wrote:

> I'm one of the founders of a small non-profit that
> had our URL
> snatched under strange circumstances (and when
> someone with Network
> Solutions says you could successfully sue, trust me
> it's a strange
> circumstance) by a German porn site that downloads
> crap instantly into
> your computer if you click on any of their
> graphics--fortunately I was
> using my PowerBook in case something like this
> happened. (And before
> all the cheap comments about clicking on porn start,
> I wanted to see
> what would happen to anyone looking for us at our
> former URL.) When
> the president of our group e-mailed the new domain
> owner to ask if we
> could buy the URL back his e-mail address (which
> he'd created specially
> for the occasion) was instantly sold to spammers.
>
> On Feb 16, 2005, at 5:29 AM, Calvin wrote:
>
> > I sent the "new owner" an email, but no reply yet.
> I don't think they
> > were looking for Adago.net specifically, but they
> might have grabbed
> > it in order to re-sell to me at a much higher
> price. I think this
> > happens a good bit these days.

=====
"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial