Re: [NTLK] eMate hinge repair without desoldering/soldering motherboard

From: keith (keith_at_vortex.co.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 08:32:55 PST

>But if you can't solder you might at least pause before starting to
>take an eMate apart.
>The kind of unsoldering involved with the detacjment of the wires in an
>eMate is about as easy as it gets.
>
>I might be wrong, but somebody that can't master these skills, about as
>hard as tying shoe-laces, doesn't strike me as the best person to open
>up and manipulate an electronic device.
>Guess I'm becoming careful in my old age...

Maybe just a tad. :-)

I've moved the screen from my worn-looking 2000 into my 2100, as it
was pristine apart from odd marks in the display surface; no
soldering required but a very steady hand definitely needed!

I do have a general-purpose soldering iron and a length of solder,
but my actual soldering experience is barely above zero.

Any recommendations for when I attempt the preventative hinge repair
on my eMate? It is tentatively planned for the next London user's
meeting. (The idea being that even if I screw up others might learn
from it!)