Re: [NTLK] Newton packages versus OS X packages

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 11:49:09 PST

On Feb 20, 2005, at 4:28 AM, Michael J. Hu=DFmann wrote:

> Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca) wrote:
>
>> I'm sure at some point the type and creator will be thrown away
>> completely
>
> I don't think so -- it wouldn't be a popular decision with Macintosh
> developers, and Apple needs to make developers happy.

They are moving to a Unix model.
Unix doesn't care about types and creators.

Mach-O as an execution format has a lot of shortcomings compared to PEF.
But PEF is being deprecated and developers are being encouraged to=20
write Mach-O.

OS 9 (or Classic mode on OS X) is in the same boat and will be=20
completely gone one day I'm quite sure.