[NTLK] Help with connecting Newton to NCU

From: Tony Morrow (tony_m_tomorrow_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 12:16:59 PST

Hello everybody, I've been following the list about three weeks now
because I purchased a Newton 2000 off eBay. The unit was in great
condition, except for the battery was shot and there was no dongle. I
ordered a Keyspan usb to serial adapter and a SER-001 board so that I
would have some way of connecting my Newton to my PB. Now I am having
some trouble:

I've installed NCU under classic on my PB and the SER-001 board into my
newton and they both work; just not together. The problem is NCU does
not detect the newton through the serial connection. I also tried
NewtonDILTester, but that program was not able to connect to my newton
through serial either. I have used NewtSync, Newten, Escale to transfer
data and packages and they all work fine; but I want to be able to
backup my newton on my computer though. Currently I have no other way
of connecting my newton to my computer, just the serial connection.

I've been searching for a solution to my problem for about 2 days not
and I still have not found one. I searched through Newton FAQs,
WikkiWikkiNewt, this mailing list, Unna.org and Google with no answer.
I looked at most tutorials, but they have not helped.

Any help with connecting my Newton through classic with NCU or NBU
would be appreciated. Or a way of backing up through OS X natively
would work. I've installed the drivers for the serial adapter in both
OS X and classic and it is recognized in both. It feels like classic is
not communicating to the adapter.

Thanks,
Tony

Systems:
PB 12" Rev C
Panther 10.3.8
Newton 2000 upgraded to 2100
ROM Ver. 717260
Keyspan usb-to-serial adapter (USA-28, not 28x)