Re: [NTLK] Help with connecting Newton to NCU

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 11:39:19 PST

Martin Joseph wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2005, at 10:26 AM, Terence Griffin wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>> PS: The built in charger on the Newton is designed for NiHM cells.
>> DO NOT use it to charge alk or NiCAD cells. i.e. Do not plug your
>> Newton into the wall with your recelled alk power pack installed.
>
> I think this is wrong? I think the original rechargeable for newton
> was a Nicad.
>
> So nicads are ok also...

While the 1x0 series had Nicad, they "knew" how to (always assume that
the rechargeables were Nicad) recharge them. The 2x00 series by
contrast always assumes that it is Nimh is used and will fast charge
them. Nicad and Nimh are VERY different in how they should be charged
and telling how they are full. In all likelyhood the fast charging that
the 2x00 does would cause a Nicad pack to burst, or at least leak.

In short DON'T charge anything BUT Nimh in your Newton.

-Dan