[NTLK] Help for new eMate User - Confused!

From: Richard McCarthy (RichardinBerlin_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 15:10:44 PST

Hi,

I've just joined this group, having just got myself an eMate. I am new
to the Newton OS, although I have always been fascinated with it!

I am having some issues that I could do with some advice on, as the web
pages I've read don't really seem to be of much help.

1 - Connecting to my computer:

I have an iBook G3 and a PC. The Mac is running OS X only, and I don't
have classic installed. My eMate came with an ethernet card, and
looking through what is installed on the eMate, it seems set up. I
have followed the instructions to set up eMate to connect via Ethernet
(EtherTalk) using the card, and plugged the cable into my iBook. In
the Mac's network preferences I enables AppleTalk. What is the next
stage of getting the eMate and the iBook to talk to one another? I
tried docking, and searching for another computer, but the eMate
couldn't find one. Interestingly, the light which is on the card end
of the network cable only lit up once I cancelled the command.

Does this suggest that there is something wrong with the card, or
should have do I need to do something else with the software?

I realize that synching with iCal and Address Book might be a little
problematic, but I had hoped I'd be able to install new software onto
the eMate, and copy Works files from on to the iBook.

2 - Connecting to the Internet:

I've checked to see that the internet software is installed on the
eMate, and I've run internet setup and pointed it to the network card.
However, when I plug the network cable into the router, nothing
happens. The light on the router doesn't even light up. Again, does
this suggest a problem with the card? How would I verify that the
internet connection is working? As I can't install any software at the
moment, I can't put any web software on to test it.

I would like to be able to access my emails from the eMate, ideally via
an IMAP server.

Can anyone help me with the above issues? I'd love to be able to put
the eMate to use - and join the world of Newton!

Warm greetings from England,

Richard