Re: [NTLK] Help for new eMate User - Confused!

From: Richard McCarthy (RichardinBerlin_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 15:31:08 PST

Hi,

Thanks for the additional advice; it is really appreciated. The great
things I'd heard about the Newton Community was one of the things that
convinced me I'd be OK getting started with the platform.

My Router is a Netgear DG834G. It has a built in ASDL Modem, which I
use to connect to the internet. I don't know whether or not it is
compatible with AppleTalk or not.

I see the idea of loading an internet application on to the eMate to
see if the system is working, but sadly, at the moment, I've got no way
of linking it up to either of my computers to add any packages. I am
just using the "normal" dock option, rather than the Classroom Dock.
The version I had installed does not give an option to connect using
TCP/IP.

I have followed the advice given as to establishing a connection with
the eMate plugged directly into the router, and the iBook connected
wirelessly. AppleTalk is activated for the Airport Card, the
configuration is set to 'Automatic".

I have then launched Escale on the iBook. I have then pressed Dock on
the eMate, selected 'Connect via AppleTalk', and then 'Connect to Other
Computer'. At this point the eMate brings up a dialogue box saying it
is 'Looking for Mac OS Computers..." I have then simply left it alone,
and Escale has not responded on the iBook. After a time, the eMate
pops up with an error, telling me the the 'Choose I have selected will
be closed down to preserve battery life'.

Having despaired a little of this, as I tried it a few times, I thought
I would see what would happen if I were to connect the eMate to the
ethernet port on the iBook directly. So I've done this, and made
AppleTalk active on the built in ethernet rather than the wireless
network, as Mac OS tells me only one adapter can use AppleTalk at a
time.

The results here are far more interest, although still far from ideal.
Most of the time, the process runs through in exactly the same way as
it does when plugged into the router. However, sometimes it does find
the iBook in the list of Mac OS computers.

When this happens, I select the iBook, close that dialogue, and then,
with 'Connect to iBook' selected in the main Dock window, and with
Escale running on the Mac, I click connect. This then attempts to make
a connection, before coming up with the error 'The Selected Mac OS
computer cannot be found on the network', which seems a little odd
given that it has found out the name of the computer all by itself!

Well, I guess it is a progress of sorts! What do you think I should do
from this point?

Thanks again for your help,

Best Wishes,

Richard McCarthy
PS - I'm getting quite concerned about this hinge problem that people
seem to be having. Is it easy to repair yourself? Should I avoid
moving the screen until I can get it fixed? I'm not that experienced
with a soldering iron!