Re: [NTLK] Blowing away patches

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 01:37:59 PST

Aux environs du 5/01/05 à 13:12 -0500, sous le titre "[NTLK] Blowing
away patches", Jeffrey McMurtrie prit sa plus belle plume pour écrire
les mots suivants:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I was wondering if anyone has the package discussed in
>the archive that blows away all system patches. The
>reason being I need to revert to 717006 for einstein.

You don't need to blow away your system patch.
The system patch is on the flash memory. Einstein emulator needs a
dump of the ROM. If you just dump the ROM, you don't transfer the
patch and hence the system you obtain is 717006 for a MP2x00 US.

To remove the system patch from a Newton, you need to restart it with
a different ROM. NewtonOS, I mean all the 2.1 ROMs I am aware of,
makes a checksum of the ROM during the boot process and compare this
with the value written on the first two blocks of the flash (where
the factory calibration is). If this value is different, all the
flash but the first two blocks are erased. This includes the system
patch.

Another reason why Einstein emulator boots as 717006 is that 710031
system patch doesn't work with Einstein emulator because Einstein
emulator's ROM is made of the 717006 ROM plus the Einstein REX. And
everytime you change the REX, NewtonOS will erase the flash.

Paul

--
Ministre plénipotentiaire en disponibilité.
Baignoire à vendre.