Re: [NTLK] PDA Recommendation

From: James Grubic (jgrubic_at_bozeman.k12.mt.us)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 10:26:04 PST

I've used PalmOS for quite some time, and currently have a PalmOne Treo
600 smartphone. This has replaced my landline phone. I primarily use it
to sync with my Macs and the MeetingMaker calendar and address book.

I also own a Dell Axim X5 (the original). While I barely use this
device, there are a couple of things about it that are nice. The screen
is excellent, and it has both CompactFlash and SecureDigital slots. It
makes a decent music player when you have adequate storage space. And
some of the games available are amazing. The handwriting recognition is
comparable to the Newton's.

I also use a 2nd Generation 10GB iPod regularly, which is a great device.

Interestingly enough, and this might spur on some debate, the PalmOS and
PocketPC OS don't inspire me. They are just gadgets. The iPod is
excellent because of it's user interface, it's FireWire port, and the
generous amount of space to store songs.

I keep thinking about a PDA phone with a hard drive that would combine
all of these great functions into one device.

I've only had a Newton 2000 for a couple of years, but when I take the
time to get into it, I really get inspired by it. Part of the elegance
of Apple's design. I recently was able to get a webserver running on it.
It's just too bad that I can barely see the screen in normal lighting
conditions.

(Side note...I have some backdrops with screenshots available at
http://www.mydigitalearth.org/newton )

So...apologies for the bandwidth usage (and rambling) but in conclusion,
you just need to try out what's out there and then make an informed
decision. I think getting Newton OS emulated on some other hardware is a
good idea. That may or may not happen (Go Einstein!) and with the skill
level of Paul and other folks in the community, it might be feasible to
grow and evolve beyond NewtonOS and create something from scratch that
can run on new hardware yet run old Newton programs.

Good luck!

James