Re: [NTLK] Newton Video Output (EZ2TV)

From: Goodwin, Greg (GoodwinG_at_aafes.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 06:55:05 PST

     A bit about the EZ2VGA...

     First off, you can see some stuff I did with the sister card, the
EZ2VGA...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/doctor_clu/album?.dir=3D30fc&.src=3Dph&stor 08017A78 for <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>; Wed,prodid=3D&.done=3Dhttp%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/doctor_clu/my_photos
e=3D&
prodid=3D&.done=3Dhttp%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/doctor_clu/my_photos

     All the pictures that show screen shots (The google shot and the
"BUY" shot in Bricks & the color shots with the woman with the butterfly
and the Newton logo) are all with the EZ2(whatever) type cards.

     Some things to know from my experience with the EZ2TV card...

1) The color shows are only possible so far in programs like
EZPresenter. To get the color pictures to work (and I did about
three... ) it required that I put a color picture in powerpoint 95 or
98... something wonky, (has to be that version) and then translate the
product in a Newton format using a special add-on, and then download the
file to the Newton... long and drawn out and did not always work)

2) The EZ2TV has one advantage over the EZ2VGA that I miss... the
ability to display in two resolutions. That was kinda nice. Plus
S-Video and I believe composite... nice!

3) The EZ2VGA has one advantage over the EZ2TV and that is power
consumption. You can have a Newton on a power supply and the battery
will charge running the EZ2VGA. Plugging in the power supply with the
EZ2TV only slows down the gradual drain. Best time I got was about an
hour. More than enough time to show a few slides maybe, but when you
want to use it for hours on end.. well...

     So my story with the EZ2TV.... bought it from EZShow for like $350
or so. Was really really happy. The Newton displayed on the screen, it
was like having a Mac II all over again with the word processor
displaying on the screen. Would be nice if someone made some mouse
driver for the Newton so you didn't have to look down at the screen all
the time. :)
=20
     Played YAZI on the big screen, and the Rocks in Space was fun but
impossible to maneuver more so than usual having to look at the big
screen and then the Newton. Bricks was fun though, and so was Solitare.

     (And in case anyone wonders... no.. Newtendo will not display with
the EZ2VGA card at least. I talked to the developer of Newtendo on that
one, and he said his program worked at more of a root level and bypassed
a lot of normal protocols on the Newton. Interesting!)

     Moving the Newton attached to the EZ2TV was interesting with that
brick of a dongle attached.
     But I was in heaven for a bit. I got Newt's Cape to work, and was
hitting a online chat site. I was chatting away for hours with the
display on the big screen. I had a modem card in one side, and a EZ2TV
card in the other, and I was going to town... hitting sites, chatting
away... had another computer (probably the Atari 800 at the time) as a
serial keyboard for it, and I was loving life. Throughout it all, I saw
the power level drop steadily to 0. It dropped at this rate with or
without the modem card. So at 0 the Newton still remained on, and I
thought nothing of it. Figured the Newton was at a state where it was
not charging, but not too bad that it had to power down. Powered it all
down after a fun session and went to sleep.

     Went to power it all on the next day and nothing. The EZ2TV card
was shot. The power drain at 0 was too much for it, and I was advised
by EZShow that I should not have done that. (This all happened in like
2000 or so). So after trying various programs and PCMCIA utilities to
fix the card in a PC laptop or two, it was established the card was
indeed dead. EZShow was nice enough to replace the card, but after that
it was simply not the same. I think I sold the EZ2TV card and turned
around and spent the money on something like Battlesphere Gold for the
Atari Jaguar 64. ;) A good move, since Battlesphere Gold is very hard
to find.

    Early last year I picked up the card I really wanted, the lesser
voltage (and actually precursor to the EZ2TV card) EZ2VGA card. I still
have that one. And that mention of late night surfing the web for hours
apon hours... no problem. :D

    These cards are nothing short of amazing. I have always wanted to
try the drivers with other PCMCIA to VGA cards, but maybe someday. I
wish the source were available for the drivers and the EZPresenter
software. The most amazing thing to me is the color drivers that let it
display 256 colors as you will in those pictures. I wish that code
could be integrated into Newt's Cape, VT100, and other applications on
the Newton. In short, I wish those drivers could be added to other bits
of Newton code to allow the Newton to display color if a EZ2(whatever)
card is used. Would be awesome!

    What more can I say? Neat card, hard-ish to find.. they come up
every so often. I nice addition. Even though it sits on my self now,
it is nice, with as much as I use the Newton, to display the bugger on
the big screen. Even if it can only use about 60% of it. :)

    Love it love it. EZ2TV has some neat features but just be careful
with the power level of your Newton.

    Oh, and I believe I have a EZ2TV site that says all this at...

        http://www.geocities.com/doctor_clu/EZ2TV.html

        (Oh goodness the site needs work again.) Anyway LOL enjoy!

     Doc Clu 800

   =20

Greg Goodwin
HQ AAFES SD-C2
Procurement Assistant, Health & Beauty / First Aid
214-312-3482