Re: [NTLK] MORE questions

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 09:32:52 PST

On Jan 19, 2005, at 3:42 AM, Nathan McDaniel wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who helped with my last four questions... now I
> have four-ish more.
> 1) Is there an established nickname for Newton-users? Was I the first
> to call us Newtonians?
No, not quite the first :~) The most popular nickname for non-
newton owners to call us seems to be lunatics. Newtonites and
Newtonions are most popular for Newton owners.
> 2) I'm an ametuer sci-fi writer, and I use both my Newton and my
> Windows XP box. so far, though, the only way to transfer my work from
> one to the other is to e-maul myself (pun intended). Ncu will only
> install packages, and nck won't work on my PC at all. If memory
> serves, the problem seems to stem from a port conflict. What should I
> do?
NCK only runs on pre OS 2.0 Newtons. NCU should work for exchanging
text files, as far as I know. It certainly works from the Mac (RTF
also).
> 3)If I manage to connect to the 'net through an ethernet card and the
> school network, my connection would work faster than dail-up, right?
> Well, at what point does the Newt's data handling capacity become the
> limiting factor?
Very good point. The Newton is somewhat severely limited this way,
although Paul Guyot is working on liberating it from Newton Internet
Enablers constraints (at least on other hardware). Still, WIFI or
Ethernet is much faster then serial or dial up.
> 4) I tend to do my thinking in batches, as some have no doubt noticed.
> For future reference, should I send one large e-mail, or a handful of
> smaller ones?
If you mean to this list I think smaller is better personally, I fall
asleep in the lengthy rambling posts...

Marty