Re: [NTLK] MORE questions

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 10:12:35 PST

>>2) I'm an ametuer sci-fi writer, and I use both my Newton and my
>>Windows XP box. so far, though, the only way to transfer my work from
>>one to the other is to e-maul myself (pun intended). Ncu will only
>>install packages, and nck won't work on my PC at all. If memory
>>serves, the problem seems to stem from a port conflict. What should I
>>do?

What exactly is the problem? If you can get NCU to install packages, it
is not a port conflict. If you could be more specific perhaps we can
help narrow down the problem. NCU does have a glitch however that I ran
into a bit ago. It will import colons (:) but won't export them. In
other words you can move a file with colons from a text document on the
Windows box to the Newt, but when you go to move FROM the Newt back to
NCU, the colons disappear. Being a writer I am sure this will be
important to you. I did find that X-port does import/export text with
the colons intact, and works very reliably. You might want to look into
getting it. It is still sold however and it is $37 if I remember right.
  I bought it years ago and one of the handiest tools I have purchased
for my Newt. You can look it up on www.newts.com and there is a Kagi
link there to purchase it that still works.

Another method would be to use EEtransfer and a plain terminal program
(hyperterm for example) to transfer text via Zmodem or plain text dump
(slower but does work).

-Dan