Re: [NTLK] OS X lite for handheld?

From: Richard Kilpatrick (dmc12_at_btconnect.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 08:22:18 PST

On 21 Jan 2005, at 09:39, Hannes Wolf wrote:

> As I said, for controlling EyeTV it doesnt matter to just see a quarter
> of the screen, but for really interactive work, seeing less than 100%
> of the screen is possible, but IMHO not practical. If I could have got
> scaling to work on my Palm it might have been a little bit easier, but
> as you say, it just doesnt scale!

Why on earth would you want to do truly interactive work on the remote
machine using a PocketPC/Palm solution, though? It seems impractical.
There are, for the Palm at least, alternatives for the built-in eMail
client, and using Webmail via Netfront 3.1 is no headache.

> My Newton2100 has just the same 480*320 resoltution as your CLIE, which
> is just 50% of VGA. And BTW: even VGA is not perfect, when you are used
> to XGA and bigger screen, but at least it is somehow workable
> fullscreen...

I thought 2100s were higher res than my Clie. No wonder I find the
UX50's screen so pleasant.

> Just read the article on wired.com again. Nowhere are they talking or
> implying, that I am "running a 'lite' OS" on the PocketPC:

How about the strapline? "Who says you can't run Mac OS X on a Pocket
PC?"

> I guess these quotes from the article show very clearly, that it is all
> about remote control of MacOSX and not running MacOSX locally.

Which is a total non-event, non-news, and it's a completely irrelevant
article engineered for self-promotion via a tenuous concept which is
then utterly disregarded. There is no technical information to speak
of, no opinion, no speculation as to the suitability of OS X as a
potential handheld platform. Just VNC. Big woo. Real experts have been
using VNC for donkey's years and will be quick to point out that
fundamentally that's how X got started; remote GUI control (regardless
of the format) of a computer via a client. Frankly, if I was that
determined I would at least be using the Zaurus clamshells, since Linux
VNC is pretty well developed, the Zaurus is only around $700 itself
(which begs the question; if the MS software is so bad, why did you go
with Pocket PC?)...

It's useless filler and not newsworthy; no-one gains anything from the
publication of the article - there are no hints on what alternatives
you could use for example. Hell, it doesn't even really touch on the
idea that in the future PDAs could be thin client extensions of your
home computer.

Richard

--
Tasty Other - Because Far Too Much in Life Makes Sense
Music for download - coming soon (RIP MP3.com)